The Reading Room, situated on Main Road, about 100 metres west of the Newsagents, was built in 1905 by the Seely family and was gifted to the community as a “Reading and Coffee Room” but later became the base for the Brighstone Social Club, which provides facilities for snooker, Petanque and social events. There is a small car park, and ramped access to both the main entrance and the rear door. The main hall is furnished with two full-sized snooker tables, and has male and female toilets leading off it. Down three steps to the rear of the main hall is a seating area and a licenced bar for the use of Social Club members. Tea and coffee making facilities are available. To the rear of the building is a lawned area furnished with two Petanque pitches.
Although the premises are primarily rented to the Social Club, other groups and individuals can and do use them, especially for meetings where quiet, comfortable surrounding are wanted. Rates are negotiable, although a morning, afternoon or evening session would normally be £12.00 for a one-off booking. For more information, call Bob Sturgess on 740538.